Friday, July 3, 2009

Hidden Lesson

As I woke this morning, I couldn’t help but watch Ashley, my wife, as she lay sleeping. I found myself reflecting on her service to me as her husband and her service to our children. Ashley has always put other people before herself. She has a servants heart. I so love that about her! Looking at her made me proud to be her husband. Loving her makes me feel so full.

As I began to stir from the bed, the idea came to me to offer her a tribute through this blog. To share with anyone whose eyes would see this how wonderful a person she is. I wanted to tell anyone who would listen how unique she is. How talented she is. She is the face of our family. When someone hears “The Vann’s”, they see her. I am proud for this woman to represent my family name. I love her so much.

When I began reading scripture, seeking a proper way to honor her this morning, I came across the story of Jesus, May and Martha. Just as Ashley would have it, my intent of this post was changed. I intended to honor her with words. Instead, my focus shifted to honoring our Father. It is quite simple, much like Ashley. Time spent honoring God this morning was actually honoring all that I love. I honored my precious wife by honoring, praising and spending time with God.

Ashley, as you lay sleeping at this moment, know that I had planned to honor you with words this morning. But, as God has done more often than not lately, He has molded something different from me. But, then again, honoring Him means more to you than anything else I can do.

That is just how you are.

Thank you for showing me that.

No comments: