Sunday, July 19, 2009

Two Words

John 3:16. Probably one of the most recognizable verses of scripture in the world. The man who Jesus shared these forever-changing words with is Nicodemus. I did as much research on Nicodemus as I could and I still know very little of him, other than what is mentioned in John Chapter 3 and again in John 7.

Nicodemus had a very impressive resume’. He was a Pharisee, a member of the Sanhedrin and “Israel’s teacher” (John 3:10). He was impressive. At the top of the religious ladder, so to speak. And two words tell me that he came down from the ladder to walk the streets, searching for answers: at night. He comes at night. When John later tells of Nicodemus, he doesn’t tell of his view from the top of the ladder of religious supremacy. He tells of his character: “ Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night.” (John 19:39).

I focused on Nicodemus as a man. Not so much as a religious leader and a person who was held in such high regard from a knowledge perspective. This wealthy religious leader, Israel’s teacher, came down from the ivory tower to search for Jesus in the streets of Jerusalem – at night. I imagine him slipping around in the shadows, trying so hard to go un-noticed. He couldn’t afford for citizens to see him; to know he was searching for answers. Gossip could hurt him. He had much to lose… Israel’s teacher, his position on the ruling council of the Sanhedrin, his peers. But he still decided to go.

Nicodemus heard of the teaching of this Jesus. He heard of the fit Jesus pitched when He saw the temple had been turned into a market. He heard of Jesus’ claims - “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it in three days.” Who could explain such claims, such words? Israel asked its teacher. But he had no answers. So he came at night. But at least he came.

Imagine the meeting. By all accounts, when the Pharisees and Jesus had encounters, it usually wasn’t over coffee at the local Starbucks. Those encounters usually involved Jesus setting their butts straight. Not comfortable for the Pharisees, I imagine. I know how it feels to be called out by Him.

The man who visited Jesus at night was told the most revealing eternal truth ever known to humankind. Can you imagine?

Jesus was straightforward. He gave Nicodemus answers. He gives us answers. Jesus was willing to meet Nicodemus at night – and I am certain he was very tired from sharing the Gospel all day with hundreds, if not thousands. But that is the way He is. He makes time for us. Day or night. Religious leader or prostitute. Just as we are, exactly where we are. Even at night.

I never want to be ashamed to seek Him during the daylight. I want my actions to be a beacon of light. Lord knows I have been like Nocodemus. I sought Him at night, in the shadows. Afraid of what it would cost me if others knew I needed to know more. To be more. What about you? Are you willing to seek Him, regardless of time of day and who knows? I want to look into the eyes of Jesus. And I want Him to see into mine.

No comments: